The health of your pet can deteriorate rapidly as he or she ages and some changes can go unnoticed. Annual health checks at booster time are very important, but additional in-depth assessments and screening that would not be performed at vaccination time may detect problems that can be treated early.
We don't like to think of our pets getting older, but from 7 years of age the body may start to undergo changes that are not always apparent to us.
We are all aware of regular preventative health checks, such as blood pressure monitoring and diabetes checks that are encouraged at our local chemist or doctor’s surgery. This valuable service is now available for your pet as well.
What do the Senior Clinics involve?
Your pet will have an extensive health consultation that will include an in-depth questionnaire and a full health examination including eyes, ears, mobility and skin among many other organs. We will also perform a urine test to check for diabetes, infections or other underlying conditions, a blood pressure check for cats as high blood pressure can be an early indicator of kidney disease and an eye—tear production test for dogs to ensure they are not developing a condition that may lead to blindness.
You will be provided with a health check record booklet containing your pet’s results and our recommendations will be written down for you to take home.
Modern techniques, medicines and advice can manage age related illnesses very well and ensure your pet lives a longer, happier and healthier life.
What happens ?
- Book your Senior Clinics consultation with a healthcare nurse (approx. half an hour long)
- Pick up a urine collection kit from reception
- On your appointment day - collect a urine sample from your pet
- Your healthcare nurse will take you through an extensive health questionnaire
- Perform a hands on examination
- Blood pressure check (cats only)
- Urine sample test
- Eye-tear production test (dogs only)
- Our advice and recommendations will be written down for you