Festive flowers are fabulous, everyone loves a vibrant poinsettia as the centrepiece at Christmas or a beautiful bunch of lilies blooming in the dusky evenings. But be warned, whilst we may love the effect they have on us, they do not love our pets so much.
- Lilies are particularly harmful to cats; they can cause extreme toxicity if ingested so should be kept away from your feline friend at all times
- Poinsettias and amaryllis, common gifts at Christmas, are also dangerous to dogs and should be placed out of reach of prying paws
- Ivy is another toxic plant to both cats and dogs so any decorations made from ivy should be displayed out of reach of our four-legged friends
- Holly is a prickly plant that is always going to cause our pets problems; try to keep your pets away from wreaths made of holly and ensure that any berries are swept away and disposed of to avoid any upset stomachs
If you think your pet has eaten something they shouldn’t have then contact your vet for advice immediately. You can click here for a list of other plants and flowers that are toxic to our pets.