Welcome to Rabbit Awareness Week (RAW)
Rabbits are a very popular family pet and RAW is aimed at educating people in the care involved in looking after their fluffy friends. Here at Feldon we have our very own rabbit advocate Shelley who is currently the proud owner of five lovely rabbits; Bo, Bugsy, Roger, Rumples and Winnie. We’ll be hearing more from Shelley as the week goes on as we explore the basic welfare needs of rabbits.
Some rabbit facts…
- Generally rabbits live from 8-12 years, some can live even longer
- The digestive system of a rabbit is super-efficient so that they spend less time above the ground, where they are vulnerable to predators
- A rabbit’s skin is very similar to that of dogs and cats but it is much thicker than their fur
- Rabbits rely on their sense of smell to communicate; they have glands under their chin that they use to scent mark and which the female uses to identify her babies (kittens)
- Rabbits’ ears account for approximately 12% of their body surface!
- Like most other family pets, rabbits need daily care and attention and need to be looked after if you go on holiday
- A wild rabbit’s territory is equivalent to around 30 tennis courts
See you tomorrow for more rabbit facts and advice.
Friendly, Dedicated and Compassionate