It would appear that summer may well have arrived at last; for a few days at least… So here are some helpful hints to help take care of your pet in the hot weather.
Most importantly, never leave any pet in a car in hot weather.
- Make sure your dog has access to fresh clean water at all times
- Try to avoid walking in the hottest part of the day (11am – 3pm) and take water with you when you do walk
- If your dog stays in outdoor kennels make sure plenty of shade is available
- Encourage playtime in cooler weather and relaxation in the warm
- Use damp towels to cool your dog down if they do overheat
- In exceptionally hot temperatures avoid walking on tarmac
- Use a high factor sun lotion on dogs with exposed skin (like the nose area and ear tips, or where there is patchy fur)
- Make sure your cat has access to fresh clean water at all times
- If your cat goes outdoors make sure the cat-flap is unlocked so they can seek shade inside when they want to
- Ensure your cat doesn’t get locked in greenhouses or conservatories
- If your cat has a pink nose or ear tips apply high factor (50+) sun lotion to those areas
- Brush regularly in hot weather as matted hair can trap heat
- If your cat does overheat you can use damp towels to cool them down
- Encourage playtime in cooler weather and relaxation in hot weather
Rabbits and other outdoor pets
- Make sure fresh clean water is available at all times
- Ensure that hutches/enclosures are not in direct sunshine all day
- Add additional shaded areas if required
- Check pets regularly to make sure they are not struggling in the heat
If you are concerned at all call your local surgery for advice.
Friendly, Dedicated and Compassionate